Sunday, March 18, 2012

Slow-Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos

I found this recipe on Pinterest quite some time ago. The picture I pinned made it look like a culinary masterpiece, which led me to believe mine would look and possibly taste nothing like theirs and I shouldn't attempt it. 

Low and behold, I worked up the guts to try it and not on was it super simple, but it was absolutely delish! Although, mine looked nothing like the original, but I know my weak areas and cooking appearance tends to be one of them. Another area I lack is the patience while cooking to measure everything exactly, unless I'm baking. I throw a little of this and a little of that and some more of this and so on. I follow the ingredients listed, but I make my own judgements.



Slow-Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos
(A slight variation from the Original Source)

2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 pound boneless chuck roast
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 can low sodium beef broth
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 yellow onion
spoonful of chopped garlic
flour torillas- (I'm loving the Carb friendly whole wheat small or medium size Mission tortillas.)
tomatoes
sour cream
shredded cheese
any other taco toppings you enjoy

First heat the olive oil in the pan on medium high. 

Next I mixed the chili powder, paprika, and cumin together and rubbed that on the chuck roast. 

By this point the olive oil should be glistening and ready for the chuck roast. 

You are only going to sear the meat, so as soon as it hits the pan it should start sizzling and smoking (or was that just me?). Sear the meat just long enough for the seasoning to settle into the meat and the edges are browned. 

Add meat to the crock pot. 

Quickly add about half of the standard size beef broth can to the same pan you had seared the meat. This will work off anything that stuck to the pan. At this point also add the tomato paste and bring to a boil. 

Add the liquid mixture to the crock pot. 

I had the onions chopped already, but if you didn't go ahead and chop them now and add to the crockpot followed by a scoop of garlic. 

I cooked it on low for about 6 hours. It shredded very easily with two forks and then I added the meat and some of the onions to my taco shell. 

This made about 4 servings.

Linking up with 





2 comments:

  1. YUM!!!!! I never use shredded beef for tacos, but this makes me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to leave you a little blog luv! def looks AMAZING!!

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Shazam! Thanks for your comment. It will appear shortly.