Sunday, April 15, 2012

Healthier Pizza Rolls

One of my favorite after school treats growing up (and for breakfast during the summer) was pizza rolls. I probably still could thoroughly enjoy eating them now, but with The Biggest Loser competition going on at school, it's all about calories and those tasty treats just don't cut it.

That is until I checked out Pinterest one day and found a link for Skinny Pizza Rolls which led me to the Dashing Dish. Have you checked out her website? She has a huge assortment of delicious food and made in a much healthier version. Her version uses turkey pepperoni, but I'm not a fan of pepperoni so I used ground turkey. I used her recipe as a guide, but made this work for me. I also used the iPhone app, Lose It (picture of an orange scale) to calculate the calories per pizza roll.

The final product was delicious. I ate them all week for lunch and/or dinner. I had several friends at work try them and I'm not sure if they were surprised I could cook or surprised they tasted so good and were considerably healthy! They reheat really well, at work we only have a microwave, but at home I reheated them in the toaster oven to make them crispy. I was able to make 30 with the amount of meat I had on hand. Next time I might double the recipe and freeze the extras.


Healthier Pizza Rolls
Adapted from Dashing Dish

13oz. ground turkey (this is the amount I had left and used a food scale to know the exact amount)
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1/2 cottage cheese
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 cup chopped mushrooms
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
30 wonton wrappers
sprinkle of shredded cheese

Directions:
Brown the meat and add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and mushrooms. After mushrooms are beginning to cook, add spaghetti sauce and cottage cheese.

After meat and sauce are fully cooked, I laid out 6 wonton wrappers at a time on a cutting board, added a small spoonful of mixture and dipped my finger in water to wet two edges of the wrapper to help seal it.



I was able to put all 30 pizza rolls onto one cookie sheet. I lightly sprayed them with cooking spray and then sprinkled a tiny bit of shredded cheese on them. I actually didn't notice any of the cheese after they cooked, so I might recommend grated Parmesan cheese if you have it.  I cooked them according to the wonton directions, 350 degrees for about 7-8 minutes I believe. 

These tasty treats ended up being 47 calories a piece. Not too bad and I know exactly what is in them!


Linking up with: 



14 comments:

  1. You can make these for a Bachelorette Night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These not only sound yummy but they look so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see these being a big hit with the grandchildren! Easy to make and eat! :)

      Delete
  3. Yum! It's been a looong time since we've made homemade pizza rolls - definitely going to have to try this variation if we ever make them again :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so quick and easy to make! Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Excited to try this! Yeeeeeahhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will be a big hit with Jack and Emma!

      Delete
  5. Coming over from the Sunday Social. Glad I did because I discovered this wonderful recipe as well as your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Charlene. I think you'll love the recipe and it was very simple to put together. Hope you stop back by soon! :)

      Delete
  6. Yummy! I'd never even considered making pizza rolls, but I definitely will now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so tasty, Elise! I highly recommend them!!

      Delete
  7. HI! New Follower from the Sunday Social. These look delish! And I love how they dont have alot of junk or calories! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow and for stopping by! It may take a bit longer to assemble the rolls, but without the added or mystery ingredients makes it worth it.

      Delete

Shazam! Thanks for your comment. It will appear shortly.