Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Minty Green Desk

Last weekend I missed out on the community-wide garage sale where my Mom lives. I was pretty disappointed. Buying a house tends to make garage sales and projects all the more fun when you have plenty of space to decorate.

Fortunately, my neighbor invited me to check out her sale the day before they opened. She had quite a sale and inside a trailer was a long dresser. (I'm wanting a dresser to redo for a specific project- details later), but it was too long. Then she pointed to a desk that was stashed under several boxes. It looked a little old and she said I probably wouldn't like it.

Little did she realize, this little baby was an instant project in my mind. It took no time at all to realize it's true beauty, inside and out. And best of all, it has a story.

She's been married for 41 years, I believe. Her parents helped buy their first house, which was furnished and this desk was there. She redid the desk many years ago and painted it a soft brownish/yellowish color. It's made from real wood, not particle board and it just needed a new home and a little love from me.



It was love at first site. The handles even look like baby Chevron's so who can't love that?!

I proudly announced to my mom, the neighbor who I bought the desk from and another neighbor that this desk would be a beautiful mint green. 

Everyone smiled a cautious smile. Nodded. And barely made a convincing "Oh, that's nice." "I don't have an eye for that, but some people do."

Clearly, I was misunderstood. I knew what I wanted and what this desk needed. 

Off to Lowe's I went where I found the perfect mint green. (I also judge a color by its name- Am I the only crazy one?) I refused to have mist in the name. I was not looking for a mist. I was looking for a mint. A 1950's mint green was my exact wording. Valspar's Lime Sorbet in satin was just the color I was needing.




I can clearly see after uploading the pictures I need to invest in a real camera and not my trusty iPhone, nor do the photos do justice for the spectacular color painted on this desk. It is the exact mint green color I wanted! The drawer pulls are Rust-Oleum Textured Metallic Black. There are little specks of silver glitter and the light hits it perfectly. 

I couldn't be more pleased with the final product!


 
Linking up with Miss Mustard Seed:

 



7 comments:

  1. You did good! That's the style my daughter likes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love it! Great find and finish!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this!! That is my absolute favorite color!

    - Roopa
    http://brightphosphenes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this!! That is my absolute favorite color!
    -Roopa
    http://brightphosphenes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Nice job! I'm happy to be your newest follower from Sunday Social and would love for you to follow me back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com! :)

    ReplyDelete

Shazam! Thanks for your comment. It will appear shortly.